Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Burl Ives

Today in history Dot learned about Robert E. Lee. The enrichment activity for his biography happened to be the song "Goober Peas", which the teacher was encouraged to sing... I think the kids enjoyed hearing me sing the song (they certainly laughed along with me!), but the usual question arose - "what are goober peas?"

I remember hearing this song on a Burl Ives recording that Dad had. There were other American folk songs on there, too. With her interest in "old time America", Dot would enjoy hearing fold songs. I wonder if there are any good recordings out there now. Too many are geared toward kids, and are too cutesy. I guess we will have to look in Dad's records when we are home for Christmas... (another intro to "old time America"- Records!)

Peas! Peas! Peas! Peas!
Easting goober peas!
Goodness, how delicious,
Eating goober peas!

6 comments:

uc said...

In case your question was not rhetorical: Goober Peas are peanuts. Imagine bored soldiers shelling peanuts on the side of the road.

Laura said...

I knew they were peanuts, and Dot does too, now. She wants me to sing the song more often now. I think she wants to learn it, too! It is a fun song.

Unknown said...

That's one of the songs in my guitar repertoire. When you know less than five, its good to make one a catchy tune.

Also, to find the Burl Ives song, you'll have to also find an 8-track player. That's what dad had the song on.

Unknown said...

Check out this site to purchase his Goober Peas CD:

http://www.burlives.com/little.htm

Laura said...

I am so glad that my one blog entry has brought such beautiful memories to my family...

Unknown said...

I'm surprised you remember that station wagon, Katrina. You must have been about 4 or 5 years old. That was a beautiful car — for a station wagon, that is.