Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The plate 2008

Every year I put together a plate of Christmas treats for a certain number of people. Here is the result of this year's work:








date pinwheels, molasses cookies, lemon-iced cranberry oat cutouts, frosted sugar cookies, fudge snowtops, oreo balls, buckeyes, and strawberry candies








Those of you from Calvary, do you remember these strawberry candies? I found that the recipe was in the older church cookbook, and they seem to add a nice dash of color to the plate. They are incredibly sweet, though! I remember loving them as a kid - I guess my taste buds have changed some.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember walking by the VBS treats in the kitchen window and wanting to be the lucky person to get the strawberry thingy. I had one and do remember it being incredibly sweet.

Let me guess. There are four ingredients: 6 cups of sugar, 1 tablespoon of flour, red food coloring, green food coloring. Am I right?

BTW, your Christmas present traveled back to Columbus with mom & dad. It was too delicate to withstand a trip with our family.

Laura said...

Actually, they are made of 2 jellos, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and crushed nuts, then rolled in red sugar. I used ready-made frosting from a tube to make the leaves. Hoowee! That's a lot of sugar!
My present is too delicate to travel with your family... and you think it will make it home with mine??