Monday, March 20, 2006

nursery promotions

At the end of April our church will be having a special day focusing on our in-house ministry opportunities. The evening service will conclude with a fellowship in the gym, where the heads of the ministries will each man a table promoting our ministry. Here's where it gets interesting: the church members will vote on which table they think is best, and the winner gets a $100 gift certificate to a fancy restaurant.

After my initial groan (not another responsibility!!!), I am now grudgingly beginning to plan out my table. While at the fair, we are drawn to the booths that are colorful and give away free items. The church will be providing hor d'ouerves for everyone, but I intend to have lovely frosted mini cupcakes at my booth. Everyone likes free food. I will also have the diaper bag tags that the church ordered last year, along with some favor for those who actually already work in the nursery... but I am not sure what to give them. As for decorating the booth, I first thought of balloons, stuffed animals, etc., the kind of thing you would see at a baby shower. Then I came to my senses. Ugh. Too cute. Now I am leaning toward a large cutout of Jesus and the children, you know, "Let the little children come unto me..." sort of thing. Other thoughts - children are the future, children are a blessing from God, arrows in your quiver... (I'm not sure where I am supposed to go with that last one!!)

Already it is all sounding like a lot of work and money. Any ideas on how to draw them in? Put your minds to work!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you should hold a raffle for the $100 gift certificate at your table. You will be sure to get more people involved if you offer money. :(

I suppose every church has its own methods. But the money thing seems to be a strange way get people involved. It all sounds like "make it exciting and people will get involved" tactic. What happens when the excitement is gone?

Laura said...

I'm not too fond of the money idea, either, although I could use a dinner out. I would do a nice table with or without the money.

Laura said...

Could prayer hurt?

Actually, while I would enjoy the gift certificate, I think quite a few of the other ministry heads could use it more.

I'm still trying to come up with a good thank-you gift for my workers, one that is not too expensive.