Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bollywood

Perhaps you know how much I enjoy Jane Austen. I have read the books, seen the movies. Obviously, some of the movies are better than others, with those that stick to the actual story being the best. (For example, "Clueless" is not a classic.) I watched another one yesterday - "Bride and Prejudice."
"Bride and Predjudice" is an odd combination of American, British and Indian film ideas. There are song-and-dance sequences sprinkled throughout the movie, and, no, they are not traditional Indian dances. The songs are a combination of Indian sounds and hip-hop or pop. (If watching again, I would skip the song by Ashanti all together - it's a little too risque for my taste. It's probaby what gave it the PG-13 rating. That and a short dream sequence with Mr Kholi...) There are a few cases of swearing, but not many. Also, keep in mind that they will wear traditional Indian clothing at times, with bare midriffs in many scenes.
Overall I had a hard time taking the movie seriously. It was strange, but funny. Odd, odd, odd. I don't plan on adding it to our collection.
PS After a watching a "condensed" version, Jim thought that the main female character didn't look Indian enough... even if she is one of the biggest stars in Bollywood!

No comments: