Thursday, May 05, 2005

Super-creativity

Am I trying to prove something here? I can't believe what I put myself through this week... I guess I need to do a better job at scheduling myself.

First - I have been planning on moving the brick walkway. (We always cut across the lawn anyway!) I thought, "I can do that myself!" I was right, for the most part. But, boy, oh boy, it's hard work! Lots of digging up old bricks, grass and dirt, tamping down dirt, spreading sand, laying bricks, spreading more sand... I started with a nice herringbone pattern, which looked great, but would involve many, many cuts for the edges. We don't have a brick splitter... and didn't want to rent one for $24 a day. Oh well. I changed the layout, and it looks okay (better than the original), and I only need two cuts, which I hear can be done at Home Depot for cheap. This job took two days - because I have to work during naptime, and because I was exhausted the first day!

Second and Third - I made and decorated two cakes. This is teacher appreciation week (brought to our attention by our school's weekly newsletter), and we have special snack tomorrow. Dorothy asked for a cake, so I baked one for her and decorated it with a lovely buttercream icing (which I purchased from Shelly, my friend who works for Giant). The peach flavored cake "to a peach of a teacher" written under a peach made from a cupcake. Cute. The other cake is for a baby shower tomorrow, and it a two layer cake with cute multi-colored little polka dots on it. I wish I had photos. Too bad.

Anyway, I am tired, and have asked Jim if we could have Mother's day tonight so I don't have to cook. I've been creative enough for one day...

1 comment:

Laura said...

I remember Dan Ensminger used that verse in one of his last papers at college. Good verse. :-)

My cakes were big hits. I thought the icing was a bit too sweet, though, and might have to actually make my own next time. Although, I might ask if they have a stabilized whipped cream...