Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Freezer Burn

I have been dreading this task for quite awhile. I know I am supposed to defrost our freezer once a year, but what a gargantuan task that is! My friend in Iowa had a great way to deal with this - she simply did it in the dead of winter and let everything sit outside in the snow (staying nicely frozen) while she let the freezer defrost. Our winters here in MD are not as cold, and I didn't have a chance to take care of it then...

Lately, the food I get out of the freezer has been freezer-burnt, and we do not care for that at all. Yuck! So, this morning I bought two large bags of ice and cleaned out the freezer. I ended up with two coolers and a rubbermaid box full of food and ice. I also ended up with food to throw away - freezer burnt stuff that no one will eat now. What a waste. It is my fault, of course, and I feel horrible about that "money down the drain."

Perhaps next year I will do bettter and defrost on schedule.

Perhaps I should have shelled out the extra money for a self-defrosting freezer...

1 comment:

uc said...

wwMd? (What would Martha do?) Too bad about the waste of food. Don't you have a potluck coming up soon?