Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Springtime

We have burst forth into spring! It seemed as if everything bloomed last week Just in our yard we have seen the flowers of Daffodils, Forsythia, Astrilbes, even Tulips. The cherry blossom festival was last week in DC, and the color is still around.

Many of our summer perennial plants are coming up, too. I have seen the beginnings of our Bleeding Hearts, Asiatic Lilies, Yarrow, Lavendar, and Hostas. I added quite a few plants to the garden last year, and it will be interesting to see them come up again this year. One in particular did very well last year, and I had to split it in the fall. I hope it doesn't take over the garden!

Dorothy and I started working on the garden this weekend. She planted carrots and I planted one row of lettuce. I instructed her on the importance of staggering your plantings. Who wants to gorge on lettuce just because it is all ripe at once! Better to plant a row a week and continue to enjoy it throughout the early summertime. Dorothy is also planning on growing her favorite "sweet 100" cherry tomato again this summer, while I experiment with some sort of heirloom tomato. And, of course, what is a garden without zucchini?

This summer I am going to try to plant some perennial poppies. In our area they plant the annual version in the highway medians. They are beautiful! In looking through the garden catalogs I have found many gorgeous versions of the poppy, and I have to see what will be available this summer at the nursery.

When out working in the garden I wonder what it was like in Eden. If things are so beautiful even now, what was it like in the perfect garden? What will it be like in heaven? What beauty is in store for us? God is so great! Get out and enjoy what he has given to us!

No comments: