Monday, April 18, 2005

Children's Stories

While going through various blogs, especially those belonging to family members (see links), I often feel as if my intellectual level has dropped. I feel stupid, in other words. While others are reading classic fiction books and other heavy tomes, I read the paper and kids books, and a novel when I get the time. I suppose being a mother has led me to this, and I really don't mind for now. It is interesting to revisit the classic children's books, and interesting to see what is new in that market. Dorothy is a voracious reader, and also loves to be read to. Her kindergarten teacher was astonished to hear we had read books such as Misty of Chicoteague and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to her before K5. When we have time now we are going through The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau.
As children we listened to stories on the radio, such as "Adventures in Odyssey." Our stations do not play these now, so we have invested in several sets of childrens stories on tape (we are without a cd player in the van). Right now the favorite is called "The Pond," and is quite funny. We have also listened to "Bible Heroes" vol. I & II, "Mr. Henry", and "Adventures in Odyssey".
If we had a cd player, we would listen to Andy's stories in the van. He has posted two episodes online at his blog, so take a peak! Look for "The Apple Chicken" and "The Five Gold Coins." Another family member wrote a story, as well, although Joel has not deigned to post it on his blog. Perhaps he thinks it would lower the intellectual tone. :-) When we read it to Dorothy awhile back she enjoyed it a lot. When will we see more?

3 comments:

uc said...

Don't be afraid of blogmiesters. It's easy to cut and paste something impressive.

You notice we all just publish links to other blogs.

I had some old Mrs. G tapes before I last moved. If I still have them, I'll give them to you. Too bad Sailor Sam wasn't on tape.

Laura said...

any and all stories, writeen or on tape, will be appreciated!

Unknown said...

I only wish I had written out the completed story!I manuscripted when I had time and then used an outline when pressed for time. I have yet to find the other three chapter manuscripts except as recorded. Uggh.