Thursday, March 31, 2005

Interesting Trilogy

As a mother of two children, I don't get to do much heavy reading any more (although I am currently reading a biography of Catherine the Great that is quite interesting). I do enjoy reading a good story, and I think that this trilogy by Liz Curtis Higgs is very good. It is based on the story of Jacob, Rachel and Leah, but is set in 1700's(?) Scotland. I have had a hard time putting these books down, and often find myself thinking more about the women in Jacob's life. How did they do it? Sisters as rival wives... did they ever remember their bond as sisters, or were they ever friends to begin with? I also think of my own life. Am I a good wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend? If my life were written down for generations to read, would I be looked on with sympathy or honor?
I suppose that is what a good book will do for you - make you think.

http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/

No comments: