Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Maybe not the best advice.

"An American woman who respects herself," said Mrs. Westgate, turning to Beaumont with her bright expository air, "must buy something every day of her life. If she can not do it herself, she must send out some member of her family for the purpose."

from An International Episode, by Henry James

Perhaps this was okay for the Mrs. Westgates of that time period, those women who were born into and married into such fabulously wealthy families. Not too long ago we American women were expected to do the same thing - magazines and tv showed us the fashionable outfits that were steals at just $500 (not counting the shoes), how our households should be decorated like a showroom, and the latest technology we could not live without.
For a short while we were expected to buy nothing but the absolute essentials. That could not last, not in our commercial society. While well-meaning people have shown us the DIY way of life, the way of recycling, the simple life, I do not expect to find Americans taking those suggestions anytime soon. Life is not hard enough for most of us, and we are not apt to suffer if we do not need to do so.
Even so, I will go out and plant my garden in the coming weeks. I will sew up clothing for my family, and will cook my own meals. I will recycle and re-use. In short, I will live as I have always. The current economic crisis has not hit my home.

No comments: