Tuesday, October 21, 2008

bounty

This year was hard for my garden. While we did enjoy eating fresh produce, there wasn't the usual over abundance. We had trouble with a fungus or mildew attacking many of our plants. I thought that potato bugs had eaten the blue potato plants - we didn't have any of them left in the garden. Oh well.
I dug up many sweet potatoes and looked to see if there were, perchance, any blue potatoes at all. There were! Yay! While it's not enough to get us through the winter if we have another great depression, we will enjoy quite a few good dinners from that harvest.








So far we have eaten blue mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, and a medley of roasted potatoes. Our favorite so far? Baked sweet potato chips! They are easy to make and delicious to boot.











Last night I scrubbed the largest sweet potato (it was a monster!), cut off the pointy end, and used this dangerous old tool to slice it up. (Do you remember the one Mom used? I have one made by the same company. Lots cheaper than buying a new, good quality mandolin!)











After tossing the slices with a little oil I put them in a single layer on the baking sheet. A little salt and pepper went on before they were popped into the oven while I fried up some tilapia.








And here they are, the finished product, just begging to be eaten. Well, they don't have to beg - they get eaten quickly at our house!

1 comment:

KatriniZambini said...

I think Mom is headed over for a bedtime snack ( :