Tuesday, October 09, 2007

end of summer garden


Most people have piles of produce by the end of summer, but not me. This summer we have one further and further into a drought, and it has caused most of my plants to suffer. Weeds don't mind drought, and they have done well in the garden... The tomatoes have fallen to some virus or such. The squash and watermelon fell to squash bugs. I thought the potatoes has also been eaten of bugs, but it didn't bother me much. This is the first year I have planted potatoes, and I didn't follow directions (I hadn't actually read any directions), so I didn't have high hopes for them anyway. Imagine my surprise, then, when I did some work in the garden Saturday evening, and found that the potatoes had actually produced! The white potatoes had a small pile of fingerlings, and the sweet potatoes had some small, funny-looking tubers, also. It was enough for a delicious saute to accompany our London broil on Sunday afternoon, and enough to encourage me to try again next year - and to follow directions!

No comments: