Tuesday, May 08, 2007

More sadness

Last week my sewing machine quit working on me. It had been running a bit rough lately, and the "new" machine we had found at a garage sale didn't quite work, either. So, we hauled them both over to the sewing machine repair shop/store to get estimates on their repair bills. Last night we got word of their conditions.
The "new" machine has a broken head gear, and can be fixed for a little over $100. Still cheaper than a new machine. It's not a nice of a machine as the other one, though.
My faithful old machine (from the 60's?), given to me by Desina Rogers before we got married, also had a broken head gear, and cannot be fixed. They do not make that specific head gear any more!
That machine has really done it's job over the years. It has turned out countless pieces of clothing, many quilts, and has patched our clothes. I thought that with periodic maintanance I would be able to use that machine for years to come. It was built to last, and would have if they still made the head gear.
Do you think it strange that I am attatched to my sewing machine? It has brought me many hours of joy over the years as I pursued my hobby of sewing. It has covered and clothed my family and friends. It has faithfully done it's job without many complaints. What do you have that has done that for you?

3 comments:

KatriniZambini said...

Have you thought to look for the part on eBay?

Unknown said...

That's what I was going to suggest. Maybe something like this would work?

Laura said...

I have looked on ebay - and found a few machines almost exactly like mine (mine, of course, is/was much nicer!). I am bidding on one - I hope I win!