Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Modesty, Again

I have recently been working on a few dresses for this spring, and was a bit disappointed with how low the neckline was on one (it didn't seem that low on the pattern's picture). I was (and still am) looking for an idea of how to add to the dress to make it more modest without making it look funny. I have found many sites that talk about modesty, but don't give pictoral examples. I have found many sites that sell modest clothing (usually pretty expensive). The most interesting site yet, though, is a modesty survey. It has given me a lot to think about - most of the time we hear things along the lines of, "men are stimulated by sight, " or "make sure your clothing isn't a stumbling block to your Christian brothers." Not often are we females given practical examples. This survey, however, gives us the chance to read guys' minds as related to modesty. No pictures, but the questions are very specific, and the answers give even more info. Check it out, girls - you may be a little surprised.

2 comments:

Jen said...

*sigh* I honestly don't think women know how men think - what men think - when they see a woman dressed in a manner that leaves everything 'hanging out', so to speak.

Additionally, you are right that women have a hard time figuring out 'modest' without resorting to Little House-wear! There is a fine line between dressing attractively and in a feminine manner and looking like one is trying to bring back potato sacks as fashion statements.

As far as the pattern...did you try it with a muslin first, or at least fit the tissue paper? What is the neckline like? If it's square, what about a 'line' of fabric in a coordinating colour to raise the neckline just a little? Would that work?

Laura said...

The neckline is a low v, so I think I may just do the old "dickey" trick, and stictch it in. However, it looks a little out of place on that style dress. Look at New Look 6615 - I made the not-quite-sleeveless dress. I hate to make muslins(I'm too lazy and cheap), as I am usually able to "fix" it later if there is a problem. (Also, it's rare that I use a fabric that cost more than $2/yd, so I'm not out that much money if it doesn't work.)